Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reflections upon the Past

My infant son lies near me,
Powerful evidence of what is
But tonight my thoughts turn
Backward, to what was

My intentions were not clear that night
Did I desire to die?
Or just to leave this life?
If I wanted to die, why tell?
But if not, why put knife to wrist?
Not once, but several times
I searched for veins
But then came the pounding...
No friend ever knocked like that.
I was angry. I hated them
For coming to my door
Perhaps I did mean to succeed, then
I was so tired after that
Tired physically, oh yes -
I lost a good bit of blood
But more than that
So tired of half-trying
Of wanting and not wanting
Of falling and not caring
Of looks, and smiles, and lies
I wanted them to be over
They would have ended with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment