Sunday, March 23, 2014

Freedom (And Truth)

I'm waiting for freedom
But my chains grow ever thicker
I should fight it, I know
But what is my will
Against these bonds?

I know it can be fought
I've seen others do it well
So why is it when I try
I do nought but fail and fail?

I try not to give in
To the knowledge I am broken
But I often wonder if I'm
Refusing to give in to the truth

Because I'm not entirely sure,
Like Pilate, what truth is
Perhaps my truth is just different
Than your truth or another's

And if that is the case,
Will therapy ever help me?
Not if we're working with two
Different truths in mind

It was much easier believing
In only one truth, the absolute
The pinnacle of human morals
And foundation of its life

But truth is not so narrowly
Defined, nor so easily
In this way, it comes to be
A lot like freedom from these bonds

What is freedom?
Shall I ever know it
Even if it should come to me
Tomorrow, or tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment