Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Glimpse and Half a Look

Scars don't fade.
Inside or out,

It's all the same. The scars on my arm are an angry red, the ones on my legs a purple shade. The older ones are pale brown, but all stand out, all easily found. Criss-cross the knife sliced, in jagged lines the blood flowed. And the scars remain.

What brought this on, this morbid remembrance? A glimpse and half a look, that's all. A knife half-seen, a glimpse of blade...that's all it took. I didn't really want to cut, I was doing just fine. But all of a sudden, when he leaned over and I saw that knife, mine's twin, sticking out of his pocket...the desire crashed over me like a wave.

And the wave crashes
And the fire roars
And I'm drowning
Burning.
Calm the waves!
Quench the fire!
Help me before I'm
Overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment