Thursday, January 24, 2013

Someone You Didn't Mean to Let Go, But Just Drifted

Ah, my friend Squishy. That is not her real name, of course, it was one of her nicknames. I had one too, but I don't remember what it was, something like Fluffy or Floofy.

Squishy was my best friend growing up. Or at least, those years of growing up where you start forming best-friend attachments. We moved to Squishy's town when I was, oh dear, I'm not sure. Ten or eleven.  She was our pastor's daughter, and we hit it off right away. It was actually one of those times when our parents were like, "Oh, Squishy and Threnody are close in age, they should be really good friends!" And surprisingly, we were. I say surprisingly, because I'm the sort of person that is likely to hear that sort of thing and be like, "Oh, you want me to be friends? Well then I don't like her at all. So there." Squishy taught me to love soccer, and we played in the city league together for two years, spring and fall. When Squishy and I met, we were two years apart in school. She was in 6th grade, and I was in 4th. That was fine, for a year. But then Squishy graduated to the teen class in Sunday School/junior church/Wednesday night and I was very lonely. So I took 5th and 6th grade in the same year so that I could catch up. This might have been the beginning of people around me identifying me as a nerd. But, I caught up, and we had a ton of fun together. We went to camp together, we made plans to go to Northland together for college, we were inseparable. And then of course, my family moved away. I say of course because my family has yet to live in one place more than four years, at least not while I lived with them. Currently they're living in the same house they were when I went to college, but they haven't been there the whole time. So they might have exceeded the four year mark, but not consecutively. So we moved away, and our friendship kind of drifted. I had (still do, actually) what amounts to nearly a phobia about talking on the phone. I hate doing it. I don't know why, but I will avoid talking on the phone if it is in any way possible. So we sent a few letters back and forth, but for the most part we didn't really communicate very much. She was a year ahead of me, and when she graduated high school she went to the University in the town she lived in. I honestly didn't really expect to see her ever again.

But then I went to college. Not Northland, the college my eldest brothers went to. I followed my other brother to Maranatha, jokingly calling us traitors all the while. And I got to my dorm, and unloaded my stuff; I was there early, for soccer tryouts (I was too lazy to do well. I was one of three people who didn't make the team). After about a week, the day came for all the normal students to arrive, and many of the room leaders started putting up little signs with their roommates names on so they would know which room to go to. Imagine my absolute SHOCK when the room leader next to me put up a sign with Squishy's name on it! I mean, she doesn't have an extremely common name. So I called her, right then and there. And she answered, and said something about them unpacking at the hotel, and she would talk to me later, and bye. So anyway, by some magic we ended up at the same college, at the same time, in the same dorm, on the same floor. It was one of those coincidences that never happens, except for that it did.

Squishy and I got along pretty good that year. I helped her though a lot of tough times; her home church (my old church) was treating her father like shit, her mom had to get a job and her dad was working at Walmart as well as being a pastor so that their family had enough to survive on. She persuaded me to join the school band, which was probably the most awesome thing I did at college. We had a good time. The next year I had a job and lived off-campus, so I really didn't see her much. And then I started dating, so my free time was spent hanging out with my boyfriend/fiance and his friends. And we just drifted apart. After I got kicked out, she made an effort to talk to me online a bit, which I appreciated. But I think the last time we talked was when she canceled our plans to meet at Taco Bell for supper one night because she was afraid the deans would find out and punish her (see previous post about the deans making my life hell). I didn't blame her for that, but we never really talked after that.

Sometimes I miss my Squishy. I don't really know what's up with her life, despite the fact that we're still facebook friends, but I wish her all the best in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment