Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Emotion

I continue to reject Christianity based on the inherent lack of logic it possesses, because of how it tells us we must believe opposite and impossible things are true, just because it says so. Yet that is not why I first forsook the fold, and I have been remiss in ignoring that. The truth is (and while I'm aware I may be negating previous arguments in some people's eyes, I don't especially care) that not all of life answers to cold, hard logic. Why love someone? Logic says not to, for love, though it can be the cause for great joy, also leads to great pain just as often. Logic tells us we ought not take that chance. And yet, by the millions, mankind chooses to forsake that logic and give its collective hearts away. So too have I given my heart.
It isn't just love that defies logic...all emotion does. And emotions define humanity. Think of the plot of a good many sci-fi movies...a rogue AI takes over and nearly does something unspeakable...and perfectly logical. Why? Because it lacks emotion. A madman kills less than a handful of children at a school, or a warlord abuses and enslaves children instead of adults, and the world is outraged...yet dozens of adults are killed in a crowded shopping center and nary an eyebrow is raised. Why? Because children touch our emotions in a way that drives us to acts that logic deems insane.
And so, while logic certainly has its place and I will continue to bring it up in this journey of discovery, I think for a while I shall focus on emotions...both from when I left Christianity, and now, as I remain outside its clutches.

No comments:

Post a Comment