Friday, March 23, 2012

The Crucifixion

Yet another thing from an old journal, written after a pastoral encounter (poor Pastor Loggans. I don't think he knew quite what to make of me).

Pastor Loggans expected me to be so overwhelmed by what Christ did "because he loved me" even though "he didn't have to." But for me, that's exactly the point: he didn't have to. Think about it. Who gave man the capacity to sin? God did. Who decided what was and wasn't sin? God did. Who decided that death was the penalty for sin? God did. Who decided that only his own son was enough to pay that penalty? God did. Who chose not to call ten legions of angels? God did. God didn't have to do any of those things, but according to the Bible, he did them anyway. The only thing overwhelming me about it is how much of an idiot that makes God. And all of that is reasoned from the premise that the Bible is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment