Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Friend

Ironically, I wrote this poem about a friend of mine who was struggling with the thought of being a father, coupled with a depression that has always shadowed his life...a friend who now, though he still claims love, has done everything he could to make my life a living hell. If I held his opinion in as high a regard as I used to, he would have succeeded. Fortunately, I do not. But I came across it while going through an old journal of mine, and though I no longer say it about him, I will say it about any friend: I am here for you.

My friend
Is confused
I have no answers
My friend
Needs help
I have no strength
My friend
Wants freedom
I have no key
My friend
Is doubtful
I have no faith

But

My friend
Wants to talk
I have ears
My friend
Is in tears
I have a shoulder
My friend
Feels alone
I have arms
My friend
Has doubts
I can understand
My friend
Is discouraged
I can offer hope
My friend
Needs companionship
I am there
My friend
Feels darkness
I offer hope

I cannot give
All that he needs
But what I have
I give unreservedly

No comments:

Post a Comment