Tuesday, January 26, 2010

An Already Broken Heart

The death
Of an already broken heart
Is a thing to be feared.
Who would be so cruel?
Who would crush
The already fragile spirit?
Life is so cruel.
What need of extra pains
To weigh the burdened heart?
Life weighs heavily enough.

Life broke my heart
Crushed my already fragile spirit.
Now I'm bound by a chain
Forged of blades and tempered in blood.
But life is not the forger;
I am.
The chain binds the
Pieces of my heart together.
It hold my fragile spirit
In its place.

Who is more cruel?
Life bruises to no purpose
Except to destroy.
I wound, if not to heal,
At least to shore up
My weakened defenses,
My hurting heart.

So do not crush
The already fainting spirit
Life does a good job of that
Already.
Do not destroy
The already broken heart
Of your worst enemy,
Much less your friend.

The death
Of an already broken heart
Is a thing
Cruel beyond words.
Be not the one whose hand
Deals the death-blow.
Be not so cruel.

No comments:

Post a Comment